Dept Dermatology, LUMC, Leiden, The Netherlands
Maarten H Vermeer started medical studies at the University of Leiden in 1985. He worked at the department of Immunology and Microbiology in Miami (Prof dr JW Streilein) on photo immunology (1989 – 1990) before graduating in medicine (cum laude) at the university of Leiden in 1992. He specialized in dermatology at the department of dermatology of the VU, Amsterdam. Clinical work was combined with research on cutaneous lymphomas resulting in a thesis « Mechanisms of progression in primary cutaneous T-cell lymphomas ». From 2001, he started worked as staff-member at the department of dermatology at the Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC), then headed by Prof dr R Willemze, focusing on research and patient care of cutaneous lymphomas. Most recently research activities have concentrated on clinicopathologic studies, genomic analysis of genetic and epigenetic alterations in cutaneous lymphoma tumor cells as well as international studies to develop diagnostic markers in cutaneous lymphomas. He became full professor in 2012 and head of the department of Dermatology at the LUMC in 2016.
1. da Silva Almeida AC, Abate F, Khiabanian H, Martinez-Escala E, Guitart J, Tensen CP, Vermeer MH, Rabadan R, Ferrando A, Palomero T. The mutational landscape of cutaneous T cell lymphoma and Sézary syndrome. Nat Genet. 2015;47:1465-70.
2. van Doorn R, Slieker RC, Boonk SE, Zoutman WH, Goeman JJ, Bagot M, Michel L, Tensen CP, Willemze R, Heijmans BT, Vermeer MH. Epigenomic Analysis of Sézary Syndrome Defines Patterns of Aberrant DNA Methylation and Identifies Diagnostic Markers. J Invest Dermatol. 2016;136:1876-84.
3. van der Fits L, Out-Luiting JJ, Tensen CP, Zoutman WH, Vermeer MH. Exploring the IL-21-STAT3 Axis as Therapeutic Target for Sézary Syndrome. J Invest Dermatol. 2014.
4. Boonk SE, Zoutman WH, Marie-Cardine A, van der Fits L, Out-Luiting JJ, Mitchell TJ, Tosi I, Morris SL, Moriarty B, Booken N, Felcht M, Quaglino P, Ponti R, Barberio E, Ram-Wolff C, Jäntti K, Ranki A, Bernengo MG, Klemke CD, Bensussan A, Michel L, Whittaker S, Bagot M, Tensen CP, Willemze R, Vermeer MH. Evaluation of Immunophenotypic and Molecular Biomarkers for Sézary Syndrome Using Standard Operating Procedures: A Multicenter Study of 59 Patients. J Invest Dermatol. 2016;136:1364-72.
5. Vermeer MH, van Doorn R, Dijkman R, Mao X, Whittaker S, van Voorst Vader PC, Gerritsen MJ, Geerts ML, Gellrich S, Söderberg O, Leuchowius KJ, Landegren U, Out-Luiting JJ, Knijnenburg J, Ijszenga M, Szuhai K, Willemze R, Tensen CP. Novel and highly recurrent chromosomal alterations in Sézary syndrome. Cancer Res. 2008;68:2689-98.